Brown rice salad with soy & ginger dressing
A great salad for a buffet. A top tip with this recipe is to it the night before to give all of the ingredients a time to absorb flavours.
- Brown rice.
- Crunchy salad veggies. Good ones to use include: spring onions, celery, baby corn, mange tout, sweet pepper, cucumber and radish.
- Cashew nuts and/or peanuts.
- For the dressing: olive oil, soy sauce, fresh ginger. And an empty bottle.
For the salad:
- Cook the rice as per instructions on the pack. Make sure that there's always plenty of water as you need to wash out the starch to avoid a salad with the texture of a brick!
- Rinse the rice thoroughly - again to wash out the starch.
- Chop the veggies into small pieces - about 1cm chunks, add them together with the nuts to the rice and mix thoroughly.
For the dressing:
- Make the base by mixing 1 part soy sauce to 3 parts olive oil.
- Finely chop the ginger and add it to the base. How much ginger is a matter of taste - I go for the more is better option, and that's gone down well with others.
I normally serve the salad separate from the dressing to allow people to decide how much or how little dressing they want.
- This is a great dish to have at a BBQ.